Wednesday, December 3, 2008

If you have to ask...


While recently trapped in a car on a decently long road trip with La Princessa (although these days any trip more than, oh, 2 blocks with La Princessa is incessantly long to me...) this occurred:

Me:  [innocently driving and minding my own business while listening to like the 5th recycling of the NPR news bulletin, because really, she apparently does not realize there are like a gazillion other radio stations to listen to...]

La Princessa:  Can I ask you something? 

Me: [shudder...this question is like a giant red flag]  Um, sure...

La Princessa:  Well, you have to promise to tell me the truth.

Me: [gulp!  really? The last time she told me this was right before she asked me if I thought her recent cosmetic lip enlargement looked "weird." (and for the record, she only had the upper lip enlarged, so it had kind of a Marge Simpson-hit-with-a-2x4 effect). If I go ahead and start lying now by saying "ok" then does that count?]  Um, ok.

La Princessa: Do you think it would be tacky if...

Me: [totally interrupting her Highness] Ok, let me stop you there...if you even have to ask a question that starts 'is this tacky' then most likely the answer is always going to be 'yes.'"

La Princessa: [pause...pause...the wheels are turning...] Ok, but see I wanted to get each of my nephews [she has like 4] a really nice, big Christmas gift...

Me: [knowing better...] And?

La Princessa:  Well, do you think it would be tacky if I buy them each a really big, nice gift but only if they agree to keep it at my house so they can only play with it when they come to visit me?

Me: Yes, La Princessa, that would be tacky.

La Princessa:  But, it would make them probably visit me more?

Me:  [sigh]  Perhaps...but generally, holding a child's Christmas gift hostage for your own personal gain is considered tacky.

[long pause...filled by at least two more NPR stories that I can recite myself at this point]

La Princessa: [sigh] So you think it's a bad idea, then?

Me: [turn to La Princessa, nod head...return to driving]



13 comments:

Marshmallow Circus said...

He he, I need to send this to my mother as a hint. She's tried it several time. :)

♥ Braja said...

I'm kinda scared to ask what the present was....

Lianne said...

She is really unstable. Really.

Asking if something is tacky is just like something that has "classy" printed on the package. You kinda know what to expect...

Kristen said...

That's funny. I have thought that but I never voiced it...whew
Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to see your quilts or what you are working on. I am in a quilting group...I call it the old lady night (I'm the same age as their children...they are the same age as my mom)

Valerie said...

I have 4 nephews and NOTHING will make them come and visit you. lol When they were little they did, but that ended with puberty. I have two at UA, a 13 year old and a 5 year old nephew. I am too old now for the 5 year old he is so hyperactive. I kept him and his sister for an hour once and was worn out. Now I have a one year old grandson that is already jumping off of couches. I hope I can keep up.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I don't personally know anyone that has their own blog and now I have found several people from Alabama through SITS. I love that! Have a great day!

Annikke said...

Ya. That would be tacky! LOL

Kate said...

Not only tacky, but completely self-centered! She must get dizzy all the time watching the world revolve around her.

Amy W said...

I'm guessing she was going to buy them a Wii or a PS3 or something like that. Then she could play it when they aren't there. And yes, I agree, TACKY!

p.s. I gave you an award! Come and check it out.

Jennifer said...

LOL! We have so many toys I actually wouldn't mind if someone else kept stuff at their house!!

Frogs in my formula said...

At least she asked!

♥ Braja said...

Temple, Amy loves us both. Doesn't that make you know that cookies means God and Amy loves you? And did you notice how that didn't even make sense because I drank the caffeinated instead of the decaf this morning and I don't know what month I'm in...

La Belette Rouge said...

I am new to your blog so I don't know if this is fact or fiction. Either way it is hilarious and terrifying.

Temple said...

Braja: I know! We are like members of some secret society now! Well, maybe not so secret...or really social...

La Belette Rouge: Ah! Welcome! And, yes, it is a true account...names have been changed to protect the insanity :)