Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Disclaimer..this blog spanned a 3 day period that included the use of Nyquil...

Damn, I just spilled red wine on my white shirt.  This like always happens when I wear white...I spill either wine or barbecue sauce on myself.

[Fast forward like 3 days...]

Ok, that was what I wrote to start my "Inauguration Day" blog and then just before I got into all the good, juicy parts I heard my Honey yell those magic words..."Dinner's ready!"  Yah, so I forgot all about the spilled wine and blog and ran like a mad (and hungry) woman into the living room to enjoy some seriously good steak, potatoes and American Idol! Really...what could be more American than that? Then I had very good intentions of finishing the original blog the following night, but started having an uprising of sinus issues (again!!!) and just stayed on the couch, you guessed it, watching more American Idol.  And what is it with my freakin' sinuses anyway? Do I really even need them? Are they like the gall bladder and appendix and just "optional" accessories I came with whose sole purpose is to cause pain and discomfort?

So, last night I decided to wage official war on the pesky cavities inhabiting my head and got some Dayquil/Nyquil ultra-super-rip-them-outta-your-head sinus meds.  So, I got home from the store at like 6:30-ish and decided to go ahead and take the night-time Nyquil sinus pills. That was really about the last thing I remember. Do those things have street value? Because seriously, I was looped. And I mean that in the true nature of the word--within like 30 minutes I was totally loopy lying on the couch and trying to keep at least one eye open to watch The Office. Apparently it was more entertaining to watch me trying to watch The Office because Matt kept laughing at my medically-induced state. I vaguely recall him telling me I needed to go on to the bed while I could still walk...I assume I made it there because that is where I woke up this morning...12 hours later...with no real memory of the night before.  I feel a ton better today, but am not real crazy about the "loopiness" feelings of the night before.  Apparently Nyquil sinus meds have more of an effect on me than Lortab or, say, GHB.  

Anywho...today was a typical work day and I made it through with no harsh side effects from last night. So, now I am trying to finish this infernal blog of three days ago. Although, I have discovered upon my arrival home that I am out of wine. Wtf? I mean, there is no wine in my house. [sigh] So, I have reverted to a concoction of Peach Absolute mixed with my raspberry Crystal Light...it's like I'm back in college! 

Ok, so on Inauguration Day my original blog was going to focus in (shocker) the whole new President deal.  I was going to go on about how although I was not an Obama supporter that I still respect and pray for the Office of President and was going to make some somewhat snide and philosophical comments about how the Powers that Be at my office had declared it like a national holiday and catered in a full lunch (barbecue, which I actually did not spill on my white shirt...hence the obligatory red wine spill later in the night) and allowed every employee to take a triple long lunch to watch the events on t.v. because my office is completely run by Democrats who are in freakin' hog heaven right now. But, I'm kind of over it now.  I mean, every t.v network on the planet is not over it yet, so I've been forced to resort to watching VH1 in the morning instead of my normal Today Show, but I get it.  

And before I start getting all the hate comments and the "why don't you like him? what is your problem? are you the devil?" comments let me just say this...I don't like or dislike the man--I don't know him, so I have no personal feelings towards him either way, and he seems like a nice guy on a personal level from what I can glean from the liberally-run press.  Plus, he's getting his kids a puppy, so he doesn't rank high on my "bad guy" list. So, don't freak out on me...I'm not a "hater." Besides, I don't think the office of President should be based solely on "likeability"--I mean, I really like Alice Cooper and the guy at the corner store who sells me my clove cigs...but that doesn't mean I think either should be President. Although, come to think of it, Cooper is like a genius and has managed his money much better than most of our politicians...but anyway. 

And, for those of you who have already pictured me wearing a white hood with fashionably cut eye slits, I am not a racist. I'm a freakin' civil rights lawyer for crying out loud and on a daily basis I sue companies and people for being bigots and try and rectify the discriminatory wrongs in our society. I totally get the racial significance of this election and I am beyond ecstatic that that barrier has been broken. I get it. More than most, probably.  

However, what I don't get is people (of all races) who think that a new President (whether Obama or someone else) is going to single-handedly, overnight make our lives "perfect."  I mean, I have seen and heard people literally say that now that Obama is in office that they won't have to worry about their bills, or taxes, or anything in life from here on out.  That, I don't get. I mean, it's been like 3 days now and I still have to go to work in the morning, I still have to pay my mortgage, and my sinus problems have not been miraculously healed. Nor do I have a new pony or Mercedes Benz parked outside. I'm all for "change" as long as it is for the better and is realistic.  Reality, it seems, has been pushed to the side for the moment by many. 

Ok, well I got a little more "soap-boxy" than I had intended.  But that is my two bits, for what they are worth. I do hope, and pray, that the new President along with Congress and the Courts can come together and help our country in this time when we desperately need it. Do I think it will happen overnight (or even in one term) at the single hands of one man? No. Do I hope that the American people and their leaders can realistically work towards common goals to get us back on the right track? Yes.  As part of this vision do I hope that people will stop ogling me like I am three headed leper when I say I didn't vote for Obama? Yes...more than you know.

Apparently only I and like 5 other people on the planet didn't support him in the election. Now, we all know that isn't true, but it feels that way these days.  I'm just saying, we live in a free country where people have and vote for their own independent beliefs and none of us (right, left or independent) should be chastised for exercising that right.  So, while I don't agree with all of his politics (or those of his party--and I won't get into that her because I am not trying to force my views and beliefs on anyone) I do accept and respect the fact that we have a Democratic President in office. I'm not throwing a barbecue party over it, but I accept the change and hope it is a wake up call for the conservative base to get back to the roots of their party instead of the mess that has been the past 4-5 years. 

Whew! That really built up over the past 3 days! :)  So, peace and love to all! I'm about to go enjoy some cheesy Mexican food with much salsa and perhaps a margarita or two...with salt...

Long live America and God Bless our freedoms! 


5 comments:

Kate said...

I am definitely one of the 5 that didn't vote for him. What I want to know is when politicians became movie stars. I mean seriously, he is treated like a freakin' celebrity. That's just not right. He should be treated as a politician people. I also do not care if he is black, white, purple, whatever; I just think it is sad that people (the majority of) have put their faith in one person. He is not absolute, supreme ruler of America, nor was George W.

I am putting my faith in God, and God alone, not some figurehead who will say what people want to hear. I only hope that President Obama keeps God in his presidency. I will pray for our president, and I respect him as president but that's about as far as it goes.

Thanks Temple for sharing your opinions and allowing others to do so as well.

Joanie said...

Count me in as the 2nd of the 5 others who didn't vote for Obama. It's way too early to pronounce him as great a president as Lincoln or Kennedy. I hope he does a great job, and that he does just waht he said he would do... create jobs, stabilize the economy, yada, yada, yada. And I sure wish it were true.... I sure wish I didn't have to pay my mortgage any more... I sure wish he was going to take care of everything. But he's not, so for now, GMAC is still going to have to get a check from me every month.

Frogs in my formula said...

I agree with you when you say that you don't get how people can think that a new president is going to single-handedly, overnight make our lives "perfect." It's IMPOSSIBLE.

The one thing I am immensely grateful for is that the American people seem to have hope again.

Peace, love and cloves to you too!

♥ Braja said...

Honey THERE you are! I feel like I haven't seen you for ages....it may have taken 3 days to post this but it will take another 3 for me to read it!! Have a cookie and remember God loves you :)))

I'm at the beach trying to walk some of them cookies OFF!

Tiffany said...

I love your Republican-ness Temple! I wish more people thought like you.