Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wake me up when it's 2009...

So, it's 2009 and here I sit with a clove to the left of me, left over champagne to the right...here I am!

I was going to do one of those review of 2008 things, but really...I'm just happy and blessed so it was all good. I thought about resolutions, but they started out like...

1.  Refrain from honking horn at stupid people in traffic
2.  Cut back on passive aggressive "sighing"
3.  Less eye rolling
4.  Stop cursing...so much...loudly...

So, I decided to scrap that and stick to things I can actually accomplish...it will make me feel better and that's what I'm all about these days.  I think my best New Year's Eve resolution ever was the one I made 2 years ago as we ushered in 2007.  After a year of mayhem, heart break, loss, and general "ick" I made the oh-so-wise resolution to "Do what makes me happy."  It was the best resolution I ever made and resulted in me actually exercising, finding Matt--a man who accepts me and loves me for me and all of my weird quirks and faults (yay!!!!), becoming Mom to Lola the Wonder Corgi, and getting my tattoo.  So, yah...it worked for me.  So, I'm going with that one again...to do what makes me happy. And, passive-aggressive sighing makes me happy...or at least it works for me in the moment, so I'm not giving that up yet. And cursing? Really...it's an art form and after years of practice I think I have mastered it, so I'm not cutting that out either. 

However, with 2009 I have learned that I am now officially "old".  For the first time, like ever, I did not stay awake til midnight on New Year's Eve.  This year Matt and I opted for a quiet Eve at home...with my recent stresses at the jobby-job (see previous post) and Matt's recovery from his break-in, we just decided to stay home instead of the usual party route.  So, we went and had cheesey Mexican food (in every sense of the word), came home, had a glass of champagne and curled up in bed to watch the Sci-Fi Twilight Zone marathon...really, what is more festive than that, I ask you?  But, I apparently had reached my limit of holiday cheer and at 11:30 Matt woke me up to wish me a happy New Year (and, I suspect, to remove my sleepy, drooly self from his chest to my pillow) and I went right back to sleep.  Hurrah 2009!

Today I took Lola-doodle for her morning walk (which she now INSISTS on in a rather aggressive way...), assaulted myself with the treadmill, and after emerging from an extra long, extra hot shower full of all my recent Christmas bath-time goodies was greeted with Matt's kick ass New Year's meal of black eyed peas and rice, homemade cornbread and real deep-fried pork chops.  Oh yah!  Then we passed out on the couch from an overload of carbs, curled up under our couch-blankie and watched the rest of the Sci-Fi marathon of the Twilight Zone. There is nothing I love more in this world than being curled up with him and just "being". I finally pulled myself off the couch after several hours of napping, watching black-and-white aliens/end-of-the-world-scenarios/ghosts and managed to make some chocolate pecan bars...which we washed down with left over champagne. So far, 2009 has rocked and I have stayed true to my resolution...I am perfectly happy! :) 

May 2009 find you all in your "happy place" as often as possible!

8 comments:

♥ Braja said...

Awwww....you're nesting! Big kiss to Lola!!

Kate said...

Great way to start out the year! Way to be happy!

Joanie said...

Love it! Sounds nearly like what John and I did, but without the booze.

Jennifer said...

Sounds like '09 is off to a great start!!
I watched both night of TZ too--it was fun. Talkie Tina gives me the creeps every time!!

Henry the Dog said...

Well, if you're old my mum must be ANCIENT - she's been doing that going to bed before 12 midnight thing for quite some years now on a New Year's Eve. It sounds as if you year started off wonderfully & deliciously. Mum says her tummy's rumbling listening to you talk about all that scrummy food. Kisses to Lola & best wishes for 2009 xxxx

Annikke said...

You make me laugh so hard! Ya, I decided this year to not even attempt a list I knew deep down I would not accomplish! LOL

Frogs in my formula said...

Champagne and cloves...cigarettes and wine. Are you my soulmate??

P.S. You are NOT old. You're feisty and fabulous and I finally put the damn Snuggie in the mail! Hooray!!

Raven said...

Thank you! I am afraid I smell an addiction coming on...

:)