Sunday, January 18, 2009

The crazier they are, the harder they fall...

Ok, so if you read my bloggy rantings then you know that the past couple of weeks have, um...well sucked. Between the infernal sinus infection and the crazy-ass boss issues, I've been pretty much skating by with the help of sinus meds, prayer, good friends and the power of the Snuggie :)  So, I want to thank everyone for putting up with my seemingly endless whining and for all the words of encouragement--they were greatly appreciated.  Hopefully all of this stress and insanity is about to wind down.

So, here's an update--things are looking up. Way up!  I finally got over the sinus thing (well about 98% over....I keep sniffling randomly throughout the day, but I can breathe and I no longer feel like my eyes are going to burst from my skull in a shower of flames and sparks--so I consider that a recovery).  

And SO much has been going on with my work situation but for so many reasons (ethical and personal) I really can't get into all the details. (Although I would LOVE to because truth is always stranger than fiction and you just can't even make up some of the crazy shit that has been going down this week--I could get a Lifetime mini-series deal for sure).  I will say that after the Courthouse showdown of a week ago, as mentioned here, I took some pretty risky and assertive actions and I am no longer working for LaPrincessa and I have been elevated to the status of "independent" in my firm which is a pretty big deal in the world of law firm politics.  So now I am responsible for me and answer to me--I'm pretty stoked about this.  And over the past 3 days I have had more really great cases come my way than I have in the past 3 months.  I kind of feel like it's the Man Upstairs reassuring me that I have done the right thing. And I am actually excited about my job again, which is a great feeling.  For the past several months, things have been so tense and bizarre that I've caught myself just kind of going through the motions...which is not like me at all.  So, I am feeling more like myself than ever! Emancipation is a great thing!

As for LaPrincessa, her world has kind of changed in several major ways--most notably she no longer has me around to do all of her work for her and she is now on her own, as well.  To say she took the news badly would be a HUGE understatement....although I don't really know what she expected to happen after she "fired" me last week.  This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my professional life, because as nutty as she is and as badly as she treats those around her, I have worked for her for going on 8 years now and I do care about her alot--especially since I have witnessed the "decline" and know that she needs help. But I had to take action to remove myself from what was becoming an abusive and very unfulfilling position.  One day, I hope she can see that everything I have done I have done because of how much I care about her.  For now, she is still in denial about her life and actions.  Yet, just this week she has voiced thoughts which would make any therapist more than concerned.  My true hope is that out of all this drama that enough people have been alerted to her situation that she will end up getting the help that she needs.  I'm still praying for her.

So, last night Matt and I met up with my sister and her hubby, and Lu and her hubby and we all just hung out, had dinner, many glasses of wine and chilled out.  It was great and exactly what I needed after the past few weeks.  We laughed, goofed off and just enjoyed an evening of friendship.  I really am blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. So far today I've taken Lola for her puppy walk (since it was finally above 20 degrees, I broke down and took her out) and now Matt's gone to get the kiddos for the afternoon.  Life is good. :)

8 comments:

Marinka said...

So glad that you had a great night! Friends, family and wine=perfect!
Hope that you continue to feel better!

Rachel said...

Congratulations on being an independent - I've worked around law firms a long time, and I know how wonderful it is to get to that level. It is telling people to f-off without actually having to be unladylike - way to go!

Kate said...

Congrats on the divorce! I know that your new-found freedom is such a blessing. As for LaPrincessa....only God knows the path and the timing laid out for her. I will pray for her as well.

♥ Braja said...

Hey congratulations Temple....well done...and welcome back!

Frogs in my formula said...

Congrats on feeling better.

I SO know what you mean about wanting to blog about work issues and how truth is stranger than fiction. My 1st day on the job my boss had a fight w/someone and slammed her door so hard she was trapped inside her office. The maintenance guy had to come let her out and b/c he didn't like her, he took the door off the hinges and just left it leaning against a wall. This was at 8:47.

I have wanted to share that story for so long. Whew, feels good. I need a cigarette now.

Jennifer said...

Oh yay--I'm glad things are looking up! What a relief it must be that your infection has cleared up and also a relief that your job situation has improved!!

Avery Tales said...

I'm so glad that things are finally looking up. It should make you smile even more to know that I've worn my beautiful scarf everyday this week! I love it and so does Jeffrey. He likes to play with the little beads. Oh - and sewing class was fun last night. I cut out my pattern and we will sew it next week. Yay!

Annikke said...

Remember I told you I am a legal assistant and I worked at a firm for 12 years.... there was a LaPrincessa there too! She was nutty and was mean to those around her, but after 12 years I did care for her -- now that I don't work with her and have been gone for 2 years I SO do NOT miss her!!! So I guess there has to be one nutjob in the joint, eh?