
So, this is how the game is played, kiddos. Use the "random date generator" (seriously, this exists) at
http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Random_Date_Time_Value_Generator.php
to pick a random date (I limited my search from 1990 through today) and then I took the random date and plugged it in to Google with "top 40 hits" and voila, I got the Top 10 Songs on that date. The idea is to choose one of the Top 10 Songs from your random date and then have a "flashback"!
Ok, so my random date is June 26, 1992
My Top 10 Song is.... Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot
(with an honorary flashback mention for Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover
by Sophie B. Hawkins)
FLASHBACK!!!
Ok, dude, as soon as I saw my random date was in June 1992 I KNEW this would be good, because I graduated high school in 1992 when all was right with the world, my hair was large, my shorts were small, and my friends and I had one kick-ass Senior trip to....where else, Panama City! Baby Got Back....ah, the timeless thump-thump-booty-thump masterpiece that saluted all of we women with, uh, some extra padding. This song always makes me think of my Senior trip when me and the girls (Resa, Tara, Kristi, Jenny, Laura and Laura) all loaded up and headed to P.C., Baby--home of the mullet and the drive-thru liquor store! On the way down to the beach, my car (an 86 LeBaron convertible made of more tonnage of steel than most air craft carriers), had a slight tire malfunction (as in the tread ripped off while we were on some back county highway). We relied on the assistance of strangers, got the spare on and made it to P.C. Wooooo Hooooooo! Party on!!! And as soon as we hit the strip, what did we hear....Oh yes, the young, Southern-male mating call of the "thump, thump, thump" of cars cruising with the bass all the way up as Sir Mix-A-Lot explained in lyrical magic that his anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, 'Hon. This song became the eternal background filler of the entire trip. It was everywhere. You'd walk to the beach from the condo and suddenly out of nowhere, "You can do side bends or sit ups, but please don't lose that but." You would be in Mickey D's scraping up change left over from last night's beer run to get a breakfast burrito and from the open drive thru window would come, "Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda..." Stopping at Wal-Mart to get some Aloe for that "dear Lord what was I thinking?" first day sunburn, and "so they toss it, and leave it, and I pull up quick to retrieve it..." Ah, the memories.
Perhaps the only other song that got as much airplay that trip as Baby Got Back, was that catchy tune by Sophie B. Hawkins, Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover. Mostly because, as a rule, when young teenage girls are crammed into a car/condo/McDonald's while "intoxicated" any song that has a chorus that starts with a loud and emphatic "Damn" is going to get sung out at the top of their lungs...in unison...and quite possibly slurred...as it did quite often that trip. [Note: this rule is similar to that for any girls from south of the Mason-Dixon line when Sweet Home Alabama is played.]



1 comment:
OK. I'm really doing this now. :)
Post a Comment