Monday, November 17, 2008

I type with a heavy heart and the support of several glasses of wine...

I have been distraught all day...completely distraught.  Our little Roscoe was making HUGE progress and we spent a very nice, fun, fur-loving weekend with him. Then, out of nowhere this morning he attacked my Lola the WonderCorgi.  Not once, but three times. The last time it took both Matt and I to separate them and he managed to bite her on one of her hind legs pretty good. It was horrid.  I have no idea what happened or why.  For the past 5 months they have been like twins...perfect pals and each other's playmate and shadow.  Then, for some reason this morning they had some serious dominance issues that apparently have not disappeared.  

We separated them all day--Lola inside, Roscoe outside.  By mid-afternoon I had convinced myself that it was a fluke, a puppy-spat gone wrong. When I got home tonight I let him in and within seconds he was on her again.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get them apart on my own (Matt wasn't home yet), but I managed to get them off each other.  Lola's front left paw now has a couple bite wounds and up until an hour or so ago she was limping pretty heavily. Now she seems to be getting over it.   My heart is just broken...and my eyes are all puffy,

I don't know if this is because of his hunting dog instincts, or if he is "becoming a man" now at 6-ish months and all the testosterone is resulting in serious dominance issues or what.  All I know is we can't have them together. So, with a very heavy heart and Matt's clear "man" thinking, we are going to have to find Roscoe a new home. Luckily we know several people who love his breed for hunting, so hope to have him placed soon.  But it still sucks...and I'm still crying...

(sigh)

6 comments:

Kate said...

I am so sorry. We have had to do this before and it is not easy. I am glad that you already have a few options for homes for Roscoe; I am sure they will love him as much as you do.

Sidenote--when my mom was pregnant with me (this was before they could determine the sex of the baby) they called me "Roscoe."

Jennifer said...

Oh no--I'm sorry to hear that!! The fighting can't continue though--so it sounds like finding him a new home is the best thing. I'm glad you know some people who are interested--hopefully that will make it a little easier!

larkswing said...

Over from SITS . . .

So sad ...our pets become so a part of our lives so fast!

Avery Tales said...

Tiff was telling me about this last night. I'm so sorry that you have to find a new home for the little guy. I know you had just gotten attached to him. I'm sending bunches of hugs your way.

larkswing said...

Hello again! thanks for coming by -I completely agree with you on capitalism, but it does not seem to be the way lately . . .I started to go there, but restrained my fingers to stay away from the socialism aspect of government bailouts - bad fingers!
You make it or you don't. A bailout does not fix the problem, just prolongs the pain and increases the debt.

Back off the soap box now - hehe

Have a great day!

Danielle said...

I'm sorry ... so sad :-(