Friday, November 7, 2008

Flashback Friday (or "I'm so far behind at work now, why not waste some time on this...")

Ok, I am so proud I came up with this idea all on my own while lying awake in bed at 2am this morning listening to the sickly Matt snore/wheeze/gurgle in his sickly sleep. (ugh). So, I use the "random date generator" (seriously, this exists) at

http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Random_Date_Time_Value_Generator.php

to pick a random date for me (I limited my search from 1990 through today) and then I took the random date and went to http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=27

to find the Top 10 Songs on that date. The idea is to choose one of the Top 10 Songs from your random date and then have a "flashback"!


Ok, so my random date is April 30, 1999

My Top 10 Song is....the Thong Song by Sisqo!




FLASHBACK......

In April 1999 I was actually finishing up my second year at law school at the good ole' U of A in Tuscaloosa. In fact, I was probably cramming for exams. But I guess this song stayed in the charts like, forever, because my flashback memory of it is actually in 2000 and whenever I hear this cheese-fest one-hit wonder I always think of the same thing...the three months I spent studying for the bar exam. I know...thongs...studying...they go hand in hand.

It was the summer after I graduated in 2000 and I spent like 3 months solid stuck in the apartment (that I then shared with my now ex-fiance Danny who, at the time, I just KNEW I was meant to spend forever with....yah, not so much...) studying my little heart out and stuffing my brain with everything anyone ever wanted to know about property law, torts, criminal law, contracts, the UCC code, civil procedure, and other fun and exciting "law stuff." I'd wake up, go to "bar class" which is pretty misleading because there was no bar in sight! In hindsight, I think I would have absorbed more information if I had been drinking... Anyway, then I'd grab lunch, come back to our little one-bedroom, bottom-level, below-the-neighbors- with-all-the-crazy-cats apartment and set up camp on the bed to study. I picked the bed because (1) it was comfy, and (2) it was about the only space in our aparment large enough and clutter-free enough for me to spread out all my stuff to study. Then I'd turn on the radio, plug up the laptop, open up all my books/notebooks/flashcards/study guides and spend the next 5-6 hours just cramming information into my head. I'd be stretched out on the tattered quilt of Danny's (I loved that thing...I probably should have kept it...) and I swear, the Thong Song played on the radio like every hour on the hour each and every day. It was like subliminal messaging. If I didn't hear that song each hour I think I started twitching. But the Thong Song's power was not limited to just my study time...

During this time, I had the worse time sleeping that I have ever had in my life--nothing helped. Not pills. Not warm milk. Not hot baths. Not chamomille or lavendar. Nothing. I think my brain was so overloaded with "stuff" being constantly shoved into it over the course of 3 months that at night it just would refuse to shut down. I'd be exhausted but just lie in bed unable to sleep with my brain just spinning...sometimes I swear I could feel my brain. And what was it spinning in my head at all hours of the morning? Yep...the haunting rhythm of the Thong Song (thong, th-th-th-thong...) meshed with intellectual property basics and statue of limitation spans. I believe this may be my Hell.

So, I'm probably the only person on earth to associate the Thong Song with basic legal principles...but, there you go!


2 comments:

Rev. Julieanne Paige, O.M.C. said...

Hi

This sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to give it a visit myself!

Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you again soon.

Very pretty blog and I wonder how we reached our 30's so quickly. Wasn't the Thong song one of the coolest at that time and now I see it was 10 years ago... more chocolate please...

Julieanne

Tiffany said...

I kinda love your Flashback Friday idea. I might even steal it. :)

I wanted to be a subscriber to your blog, but I can't find the link on your page.